This apple pie is quite delicious, and actually very easy to make. It is quite literally the BEST apple pie – IMHO! You can make your own crust, or use store bought. Both strategies are sure to impress 😉
The best part about this recipe is that you can easily make a double batch, freeze half, and have a second batch of pie filling ready to go for whenever you need to bake a pie on the fly.
Because who doesn’t need to bake pies on the fly?
OK OK – use it for that time you signed up to bring desert, and then forgot 😉
Start by peeling and slicing your apples however you see fit. I use a potato peeler and a apple corer. However, there are better ways…
Toss the apples in the lemon juice. Combine all of the sugars, flour, and spices in a big bowl. Mix the apples and the sugar mixture together until the apples are coated in the ooey gooey goodness.
Now, I usually make a double batch. So at this point I put half of the apple mixture in a freezer safe bag, and write on the bag “Apple Pie Filling + 1 T Butter”. When you are ready to make your second pie, all you need to do is thaw the filling (if it was frozen), and follow the directions from here!
Place the remaining apple pie filling into an unbaked pie crust. Dot the apples with 1 Tablespoon of butter. Place the remaining pie crust over the top. Seal the edges and cut slits in the top.
To get that golden baked look, you will use and egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
Beat the egg white until foamy, and brush over the top of the pastry. Sprinkle lightly with sugar.
Be sure to use foil on the edges of your curst so that it doesn’t burn!
Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Remove the foil on the edges and bake for another 20-25 minutes or until your crust is a golden brown.
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 7 Cups Sliced Apples
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 9-inch Pie Crusts
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Egg White
- Additional Sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the sugars, flour and spices; set aside. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge. Fill with apple mixture; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- Beat egg white until foamy; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake 20-25 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
- Double the first 8 ingredients and save half of the pie filling in a freezer bag for later. Two make your second pie, let the pie filling thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Fill a pie crust with the filling, dot with 1 tablespoon of butter. Cover with second pie crust. Brush with egg white, sprinkle with sugar, and bake as directed!